I have added a Links Page to the site (also listed above). The old BlogRoll was getting too long. I changed the BlogRoll to display only my favorite parenting blogs.
Well, as I promised in a previous post here are some of my favorite pictures from our most recent photo session with Ace. I’m the goofy guy with the goatee. Momma is the one with the long hair, and Ace is the the little guy… ;D
I’ve been tagged by Xbox4NappyRash, so you get to read all about my likes, dislikes, and otherwise boring yet amusing characteristics.
1. What were you doing ten years ago?
10 years ago I was 18 years old. I was attending my first semester of college and adjusting to life in the big city. I did this by consuming large amounts of alcohol before sneaking into dance clubs and getting my groove on with the ladies. OK… I have never had and probably never will have a groove to get on…more like a divot.
2. What were you doing one year ago?
- About one year ago I was anticipating the birth of my little boy. My wife would have been somewhere around 5 to 6 months pregnant. I still do not know how 40 weeks equals nine months? Can anyone figure this out?
- I was learning the art of pregnant sex. For those of you who have never experienced this phenomenon…things change. Things that worked before don’t work any more. Certain angles of attack are not possible and if they are still possible, most likely they are not comfortable.
3. What are five snacks you enjoy?
Well, I’m not really a snacky kinda guy. If I had to pick my favorites they would be…
- Vanilla Ice Cream / Milkshakes
- Tim Horton’s Iced Cappuccino
- Nutty Bars
4. What are five songs you know the lyrics to?
Do I have to really know the actual lyrics? I know the lyrics that I sing. Momma always asks me if I’m listening to the same song as her when I sing in the car.
- These Are My People by Rodney Adkins.
- This reminds me so much of my life.“Well, we grew up down by the railroad tracks shooting BBs at old beer cans. Choking on the smoke from a Lucky Strike somebody lifted off of his old man.”
- Watching You by Rodney Adkins.
- This song came out about the time we found out that we were going to have a baby. Every time I heard this song I got a little teary eyed…“I’ve been watching you Dad. Hey aint that cool. I’m your Buckaroo. I wanna be like you.”
- Online by Brad Praisely.
- This song is just plain funny.“I’m so much cooler online.”
- Mud On The Tires by Brad Paisley.
- You ever been muddin’? If not you don’t know what you are missing.“I tell you what we need to do. Is grab a sleeping bag or two and build us a little campfire. And then with a little luck we might just get stuck. Let’s get a little mud on the tires.”
- Livin’ Our Love Song by Jason Michael Carroll.
- This reminds me a lot of me and Momma. “Something like this just don’t exist between a backwoods boy and a fairy tale princess.”
5. Five Things You Would Do If You Were A Millionaire
- First I would invest a big chunk to help secure my family’s future.
- Toys, toys, toys. I’m talking four wheelers, motorcycles, dirtbikes, boats, nice cars and trucks. I man can never have enough toys.
- Then of course I would need some land for me and Ace to ride them on. I would love to have a farm and raise some beef cattle or something like that.
- Get Momma whatever it is she wants. I’m guessing a nice farm house to go on the farm land, and a Corvette.
- I probably wouldn’t quit working, but I would get a less demanding job. How am I going to maintain the farm and play with all of my toys if I have to work 40+ hours per week?
6. Five Bad Habits
- I’m a smoker and chew tobacco on occasion. I know. I need to quit and am working on it.
- I’m too quiet. I was voted “Quietest Person” in high school. I’ve improved some since then, but still need to work on this.
- I know the answer for everything and share it. I really don’t like to brag, but I’m a jack of all trades and know a little bit about a lot of stuff. I’m an electronic engineer, computer whiz, do computer programming, can fix almost anything, can do plumbing, electrical, wood working, am addicted to the Learning Channel and Discovery, lived in the country, worked on a farm milking cows, lived in the city, traveled all over the US and to Japan once, am a husband, and a Dad. So if someone has a question I usually have some kind of relevant answer and this tends to bother some people.
- I never say no. Since I “know everything” people always come to me for help and I don’t have the heart to tell them no. I will put my stuff on the back burner for way too long to help everyone else out. Then my stuff gets piled up and this stresses me out.
- I plan everything. I analyze and analyze every situation and decision. Momma is totally opposite. She gets an idea and does it spontaneously. I would like to be somewhere in the middle.
7. Five Things You Like To Do
My little head is trying to speak at this point, but in order to keep this clean I will try to only list thoughts from my big head.
- Spend time with Ace. The little booger is so entertaining and lovable. If I had a bad day it all disappears the first time he smiles at me.
- Going camping. Nothing is better than snuggling up next to Momma in a tent, then waking up in the morning and cooking breakfast over the fire. Man I can’t wait until Ace gets a bit older so we can do this again.
- Playing Euchre with friends. I love to just sit around a table with friends, drink some beer, and play some cards. A Friday night just can’t get any better than this.
- Work around the house. Now while this sounds like work to some, I actually enjoy it! I love to build things, fix things, and make things better.
- And of course writing on DadThing.com and reading all of your comments!
8. Five Things You Would Never Wear
- Spandex – If I wanted you to see my junk I would just show you. Why cover it all up with a skin tight piece of material that leaves hardly anything to the imagination anyways…
- Suspenders – If your pants don’t fit, buy new pants. Your shoulders were designed to hold up your shirt, not your pants.
- A shirt that let my belly hang out…if I ever get a big belly that is.
- Whitey-Tighteys – I’ve got very little ass and whitey tighteys turn in to whitey baggies when they cover my rear. Not attractive in the least.
- A Banana Hammock…nuff said.
9. Five Favorite Toys
I really don’t have a lot of fancy toys. That’s probably why toys was one of the first things that came to mind in the millionaire question. I can only think of four.
- I have a lot of various tools and saws. I like to go down and work in the woodshop when I get a chance.
- My computer. While old and slow it still works and I enjoy using it. It’s about time to get a new one though. 733MHz and 128 MB of RAM just doesn’t work to well with today’s applications.
- When playing on my computer I sometimes turn on my police scanner. It’s entertaining, and sometimes scary, to hear what is going on in the city.
- My push mower. While this is not officially a toy, it is an object that I enjoy using. Therefore it is kind of a toy in my eyes. I don’t know why, but mowing the yard is fun for me.
10. Five Things You Hate To Do
- Leave town for work – This means I don’t get to see my little man and Momma every night and that is just depressing…and lonely.
- Go shopping – I know what I want before I get to the store. In and out as quickly as possible. If I spend time browsing a store I get depressed from finding a bunch of stuff I want and will never be able to afford.
- Watch sappy movies – Bring on the fire, explosions, and gun fire!
- Be bored – I’m always doing something and have a couple projects in the works. If I have nothing to do I entertain myself by coming up with ideas of things to do next.
- I really hate to shave – I put it off as long as possible. I usually only shave twice a week, and that is only because once it gets so long Momma won’t love on me because of my prickly face.
Anyways, enough about me. Let’s see. Who should I tag as the next victims…
Well, Momma put in her two week notice at work the other day. We have both worked since we met almost 10 years ago. With the birth of our son Ace, Momma has decided to convert to a Stay-At-Home-Mom.
It makes sense. She wants to be there during the day for Ace instead of taking him to daycare. Plus daycare costs us an arm and a leg. It costs us $220 for four days per week. That is $880 dollars per month.
While Momma makes quite a bit more than this every month it is kind of silly for her to go to work for, essentially, $880 less per month.
This is going to call for some major spending habit changes. No more eating out. More cooking at home. Less going to the movies. And I’m going to have to consolidate some debt to get our payments down to an affordable level.
Momma is thinking about taking on a part time job in the evening a couple days a week, after I get home from work. The money she earns will probably be our “fun money”.
It is going to be tight. Going from two incomes to one is a drastic change. I’ve figured it up and it will be possible as long as we stick to our budget…which in the past we have not been good at doing.
I’m hoping that since we are doing this for Ace, that we will stick to our budget and everything will work out OK.
It’s funny how having a baby changes your outlook on life. It’s not about making money and having nice things anymore. It’s about being a happy family and raising a happy little boy.
Has anyone else out there went from two incomes to one to be a stay-at-home-parent? If so do you have any tips for me and other readers that are considering making the change?